A few months ago, fellow photographer @danwangphoto reached out with a seemingly simple question – “What are some of your all time on set music playlist go-to’s?” What a damn good question.
What I came to realize in trying to write this blog post is that it’s a daunting question as well. Music on set is a very tricky business; you have to set the mood, keep everyone energized, and keep that flow going for hours at a time.
This is very serious business, so naturally I consulted with the experts – our crew of superstar assistants and fellow shooters (the usual suspects: Jared Castaldi, Jeff Elkins, and Tye Worthington). We put our heads together and came up with a consensus of our all time favorite jams that we want to hear on set.
Here they are – in no particular order, our top 20 best of the best on-set tunes:
1. Calvin Harris – Sweet Nothing
2. Florence + The Machine – Dog Days are Over
3. Kings of Leon – Use Somebody
4. The Black Keys – Gold on the Ceiling
5. Hall and Oates – Private Eyes Â (okay this is one of my favorites, don’t judge).Â
6. LCD Soundsystem – Someone Great
7. Queens of the Stone Age – No on Knows
8. Ratatat – 17 Years
9. Grizzly Bear – Two Weeks
10. The Strokes – Last Night
11. MC5 – Kick out the Jams
12. Marked Men – Blew My Head
13. Major Lazer – Original Don
14. The Rapture – Echoes
15. Tanlines – All of Me
And if all else fails…Â just trust us and put this song on: